Search This Blog ~

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Data from Star Trek:TNG Cosplay Makeup Tutorial!

Hey there everybody!
I am very excited to make this my first post on the Dysnomia Studios blog! 

So for starters, Dysnomia Studios is run by primarily myself (Erin) and Chris.
Chris and I do a lot of cosplaying at conventions, faires, shows, etc. It's a nice way for us to have some fun and relax in an atmosphere we enjoy, especially since we both work full time and go to school full time ( I know -_-).
Data and Lal at ACCC © DYSNOMIASTUDIOS 2015
Chris and I as Data and Lal
Cosplaying and costuming in general has become a huge part of our lives the past few years and we have learned a lot from wanting to cosplay characters that, well, there's really lot a lot of information available on how to recreate their looks, costumes, etc. So there's been a lot of trial and error we've gone through to finally get that characters makeup right, or to finally get that bizarre costume they wear right. And while it's stressful it is a lot of fun, and nothing honestly is better than that feeling of pride you get from finally completing something you've been trying so hard at to get right.

 One of the things we've had quite a few requests for, that you guys either sent to our Facebook page or stopped us at a convention to ask; is how I do the makeup for Chris's Data cosplay(also pictured below).

Data at ACCC 2015 © DYSNOMIASTUDIOS 2015

I am actually going to tell you how to create this look two different ways.
The first way will be the way I typically do it for a convention or show, this will also be the more affordable version (I am indeed a college student).

The second way, will be the way I've found through scouring the internet that Data's makeup was done on the set of Star Trek:TNG. This will be the more expensive way, but it is also good to know because its possible you could find dupes that might be more readily available to you or cheaper. This will be in a separate blog post which I will link to this post once it is up!  You can now find Part II here!!

So first let's gather what you'll need to create this look as I typically do.


  • Foundation of your choice that is a few shades lighter than your actual skin tone (I use the Maybelline Fit Me Foundation in the matte, I used #110) $7.99 at  Ulta
  •  The NYX  Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk  $4.50   (another alternative to this is the Fantasy Makers Body pencil in white, it's fairly cheap but it's hard to find. I suggest trying Ebay or purchasing it from a Halloween store)
  • A setting spray. I use the E.L.F. Studio Makeup Mist & Set $3.00 (they also have another version of this spray that leaves a matte finish!)
  • The Ben Nye Makeup Company's Lumiere Luxe Powder in Two Shades Aztec Gold and Iced Gold these are each $10.00 (if you are looking for something a bit cheaper, I used to use the H.I.P. Kohl Eyeliner in Gold, it has been discontinued but you can still buy it online at outlet boutiques, I use Brigette's Boutique to find items like these, note that it is a powder you just have to empty it out of the awkward container they put it in)
  • Makeup brushes ( a fan brush, foundation brush, Powder brush or Kabuki, lip brush, and any other smaller brushes for little areas)and sponges
  • White Eyeliner (optional) if the subject your putting the makeup on will let you apply then absolutely do it! If not, have no fear, Chris refuses to let me apply it and honestly not having it doesn't make a huge difference)

Alrighty then! Now we have everything we need to begin!


First, make sure to cleanse your face and pat dry with a towel. Make sure your canvas is clean and ready to begin!


Now, for the first step in this look we're going to apply the primer all over the face, the ears, and the neck. Pretty much anywhere you intend to cover in makeup. Easy! 


After that you'll need to apply your foundation! I typically apply it at first with a sponge to the larger areas of the face, neck and ears. Apply it evenly with the sponge and then use a brush to go back and get the smaller areas (like the lips) that you couldn't get with the sponge.

Now, here comes the fun part. Grab your NYX pencil in Milk and gently mark the face, neck, and ears with it. I usually start around the nose and forehead area and go from there.

Do not entirely cover the face, neck,or ears with it

Make decent size marks fairly spaced out over the face and neck. Because now you will blend them into the foundation with your fingers. After finishing the first layer of this I usually spritz on a little of the E.L.F. Mist and Set, I've noticed setting each layer keeps the makeup from budging all day long.

Now, repeat blending the NYX pencil into the foundation until you've reached the color you desire. It may be necessary to add a tiny bit more foundation as you go.

It usually takes me anywhere from 3 to 4 layers to get the nice even color I want. Don't forget to Set each layer as you go and to also give the setting spray time to dry between layers.

Now that we have a nice even white we're going to go in with our BenNye Fireworks Fantasy in
FW-11 Bronze this is very pigmented so you only need a tiny bit! Grab a little with your lip brush, maybe brush a tiny bit off as well before applying it to your lips. This is actually an item them used on the set for his lips if I am correct. It gives it a slight metallic look.

Next, grab your HD Powder and a nice fluffy brush! Apply it generously to the face, ears, and neck.

Once you've done that, grab your fan brush and your Lumiere Luxe Powders in Aztec Gold and Iced Gold. There's a few ways to do this step, you can if you want combine a bit of each powder on a palette, mix them together and then apply lightly with your fan brush.
 I usually just apply the Aztec Gold first and then finish with the Iced Gold. It gives a really great metallic effect (yes, they did also use this on the set) but apply it VERY lightly.
These powders are very pigmented and we're not wanting to make Data's face look like Shirley Eaton in Goldfinger.

After all of this apply a few coats of setting spray and allow it to dry between each coat.

And you are done! Not too hard right?

*Note that if you do want to apply it to the hands,I suggest doing it to just the top half of your hands and being Very generous with the setting spray. This way not much of the makeup rubs off if any. So far doing it this way hasn't caused a problem and it stays on pretty well throughout the day. The only thing is every time you wash your hands it is going to need a touch up.

I hope this can help some of you out there wanting to create Data's look or a look similar to it.

I did not have the chance to make a video, I also was not sure since this is the first entry, if you all would prefer a video and blog entry or just the blog entry or just a video maybe with a little bulleted list to go along with it?

  If you guys have any trouble recreating this look or need any help or have any questions I will be more than happy to try my best to answer them!
I hope you all enjoyed this entry!
We will be updating it regularly with makeup tutorials, costuming tutorials, reviews, shop updates (It's been delayed quite a bit, but we're hoping to have prints up soon since we had some requests for Data/ Data and Lal prints) and our daily shenanigans.
So make sure to follow our blog to keep in the loop!

But if you guys do want a video please leave me a comment, send me a message, let me know!

- Dysnomia Studios
Erin V.



No comments:

Post a Comment